Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Weekend Warriors

Weekend Warrior. I've known the term, but I never lived it until now. My parents came up to visit during the Thanksgiving holiday, and my dad, being the DIY carpenter that he is, decided that I needed a patio for my backyard deck. This is how it originally looked:

Excuse the curve that a panorama shot creates
There was definitely a lot of sun exposure. When I sat for breakfast, the sun was just blinding. My parents and I would (playfully) fight for the seat facing away from the sun; though that meant no view of the backyard landscape. Did it matter? We were to blinded by the light to even appreciate it. So it was decided. Spend the weekend putting up a patio. It took 2 full days from sun up to beyond sun down. 

My mom was the brains behind the design. She did all the measurements and calculations. My dad and I did the grunt work. Well, my dad did most of the grunt work. I did some drilling and hammering here and there. In the end, we came out with a beautiful covering.


There's still some work left to be done. I'm planning to paint the patio an off-white or ivory color. I'll need to run an electrical line so that I can put up a ceiling fan in the center; it does get super hot in the summer. I'm currently researching some DIY pallet bars. I really want a tiki style bar. In fact, that will be my theme for this setting. Tiki. After all, that's what patios, decks, and summer are for. An island type getaway for some grilling (vegan meat and vegetables) and having cocktails with friends. Ultimately, I'll buy a screen and projector and have classic movie nights on the deck. 

Summer can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment