Search This Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2012

HMB



The peace and serenity that is Half Moon Bay, CA


When my parents last visited, I took them on a drive through Half Moon Bay. My mom's initial reaction...BORING. I wouldn't expect anything less, but I think she could appreciate some of its charm and beauty. She asked what the appeal was considering that there wasn't much around; just farmland, mountains and beaches with a few shops and restaurants here and there.

The geography is precisely why I love HMB. It's rural AND coastal. I feel so much at peace when I'm there; whether it's walking along the coastal trails, the farmland's valley floor, the creeks or the open space preserves. There is just something about the sounds of rustling leaves, trickling waters and crashing waves that calm my nerves and bring peace of mind. After a long work week when I'm constantly moving about, presiding over my classes, or developing new curriculum, "boring" is what I need. I welcome it. Rather, I pursue it.

It isn't just the work stress from which I seek relief; it is also the tribulations of life. Sometimes I wonder how I even muster the strength to move past and away from these tumultuous events that seem to jump out at me. It has been a very rough six years, and though most of those distant memories are fading, the more recent painful memories of an abusive relationship are still ingrained in my mind. Hence the frequent trips back to HMB. It quiets my mind, and eases my PTSD symptoms. I liken the ocean breezes to God's whispers; as though He is telling me not to worry and that everything will be okay.