Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Port Costa

There's this tiny little town nestled in the hills overlooking the Carquinez Strait. It is a community where everyone knows everybody; people graciously smile and say hello when passing. Storefronts double as private residences because the main town is that small. The big businesses are The Warehouse Cafe, Bull Valley Restaurant and The Burlington Hotel and Cafe.




A friend of mine asked me to join her for some brunch at the Burlington known for its Victorian opulence. It was their "Vintage Vinyl" Sunday where the sitting room features swingin' tunes on the record player. The kitchen in the next room is a throwback to 1930s Americana. It features fully functional vintage appliances. I was in awe of the stove, and now I'm seriously considering looking for an old (yet working) 1920s-30s stove. I already own a 1940s Wedgewood stove, but I'm willing to part with it if I acquire an older one. We'll see.




During our brunch, there was a rush of bikers stopping for some home-brewed coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice. It was definitely an amusing sight that I had to take a candid photo.


There's bikers, and then there's bikers.

Afterward, my friend and I took a nice walk along the strait's edge. We shot the breeze as we admired the scenic views beyond. It's very peaceful. A person can spend hours gazing across the strait while having a bit of introspection.




We returned to main street for a cocktail at Bull Valley Restaurant. We were hoping to have a serving of their brussels sprouts, but it was only available during dinner hours. We were too early. So we sat engaged in conversation and toasting to the coming Christmas holiday.




What is great about Port Costa is that it has allowed time to pass on by. The town is exactly how it looks when it was first founded in 1879; that is if you don't look at the automobiles parked nearby. When another of my friends texted asking how our day was going in Port Costa, I could only respond with a single word: Peaceful. It's nice that there are still places where you can be at total peace free from the daily grind. I now have two communities to run away to for complete serenity: Half Moon Bay and now Port Costa.

No comments:

Post a Comment