Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Hot Rod Girl

Since gas has now risen to above $4 a gallon, I decided to give my truck and my wallet a break. I have a V8 engine and a 20 gallon tank. The fill-ups add up to a lot. I'm now back on the CalTrain commute to work. This past week was my first week back on the commuter rail. I take the train from Millbrae station and park my truck in the BART parking structure. Business as usual...that is until today when I returned from work.

After I got myself situated, I turned the key, and I was aghast by what happened next. There was a loud, roaring combustion. I even set off a few car alarms. "What the hell???"




I drove out of the parking structure and onto a side street to assess the situation. The engine wasn't shaking. The oil was clean. There was water in the radiator. No leaks. It sounded like the muffler, but it wasn't damaged. So I called my dad. "I swear it sounds like the 32 Deuce Coupe from American Graffiti!" I drove it to the closest mechanic in Burlingame and asked if they could check my truck. After restarting the ignition, the mechanic looked underneath my truck and saw the problem. SOMEONE STOLE MY CATALYTIC CONVERTER!!!! In Millbrae??? Apparently this has been an ongoing problem on the Peninsula. I was shocked. Looks like I will be shopping around for a converter tomorrow.

The engine is super loud. I mean really loud; almost deafening. I was hoping I wouldn't get pulled over for fear of getting ticketed. But as I was rolling down El Camino, I couldn't help but feel like a bad ass. I told my dad the same thing when he called back checking on me. He just started laughing. I have myself a hot rod. At least for a day or two. I'm taking it in to get a catalytic converter welded hopefully this weekend.



The biggest negative, though, why did this have to happen during the Vintage Fashion Expo weekend. Looks like I won't be making very many purchases. 


No comments:

Post a Comment