Search This Blog

Friday, October 10, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchase #11: Art Deco Dresser (FINALLY!)

For the past four years, I had been storing my lingerie, shirts and pants in this cheap, tiny plastic set of drawers from Bed, Bath & Beyond. I could've bought a dresser a long time ago, but I really had my heart set on purchasing an antique dresser; preferably an Art Deco piece. 

I always come across them at the Alameda Pointe Antique Fair but they were not the type I wanted. I was searching specifically for a stacked set of drawers (also called a high boy). Since I already have an antique vanity with a full length mirror, I didn't want to purchase a horizontal piece with a mirror. Sometimes I'd browse Craigslist only to find a hefty price tag. Even at Alameda they're pricey. I've found some Deco highboys for anywhere between $200-$400! The max I'm willing to spend is $150.

I decided to go back to perusing estate sales. Depending on the location, you can find some really good antiques for relatively good prices. I'm on a mailing list that alerts me to any sales with keywords vintage, antique and art deco. One popped up out of Half Moon Bay.

This house had a ton of antique items and plenty of Art Deco furniture. I wish I could've taken it all, but I either didn't need it or the condition wasn't that great. I first looked to see what would catch my eye in the garage, kitchen and living/dining room. Nothing. Then it was off to the bedrooms. There were four of them and each one had some type of antique furnishings but it was mostly shaker style. Once I got to the last bedroom, I spied an Art Deco highboy dresser. I immediately inspected it, pulling out drawers and looking for damage. It was in excellent condition. Sure it had a few scoffs here and there, but nothing a good polish couldn't handle. I went back to the front of the house and said, "I want that Art Deco dresser." Thank goodness it hadn't yet been sold. I had the cash, paid the lady and loaded it onto my truck.

Once home, I polished it from top to bottom, side to side. It looks absolutely stunning. Notice the handles. It's bakelite; an early form of plastic used extensively during the early 20th century.


The picture below shows where it currently stands. I decided to sit my 1956 Kangaroo caddy on top, though I'd much rather look for some older antique pieces to dress it up a bit more. November is a month of antique buys with three events coming up: Alameda Pointe Antique Fair, Alameda Fashion Fair and the San Francisco Vintage Expo.


Here's the best part of this purchase. It cost me only $45. Definitely a great score.