Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Presidio Officers' Club

There has been a lot going on this weekend: The Alameda Park Street Car Show, the Rosie the Riveter Show and the Royal Jazz Society at the recently remodeled Presidio Officers Club. I rarely make trips to the East Bay unless it has to do with coloring my hair or buying vintage clothing and other antique goods (though I need to take a drive to Berkeley for the Magic Vegan Bacon Grease). So Presidio Officers' Club it is. 

From what I gathered in learning its history, it was established in 1776 (long before California statehood) as an entertainment meeting place for military personnel and their families. The architecture is typical Spanish adobe prevalent throughout California. It harkens back to the days of Spanish colonialism and the establishment of missions up and down the coast. Today, the Officers' Club continues its tradition of cultural entertainment now open to the public.




Considering that the Royal Jazz Society typically performs at Gatsby, I decided to go in 1920s attire. My inspiration, of course, was none other than the "It Girl" herself, Clara Bow. I pulled back my red hair and secured it with a scarf; typical flapper attire. I went heavy on the eye make up with dark red lips and rouged cheeks (Merlot lip color and Apricot Rouge by Bésame Cosmetics). I only wish I had her eyebrows. I went for a Jersey dress that was popular during the 20s. The shoes are "It Girl" from Remix. Great dancing shoes, by the way.



I didn't expect there to be such a crowd, but when the band is good and the venue is free, expect the entire Bay Area swing dance community to attend. It was packed. I danced quite a bit but it was mostly Balboa due to the tight quarters. I did some Lindy hop provided that there was some space available to do a swing out. I only wish there were collegiate shag dancers out there. Shag is my favorite dance. 




 

I took a break from dancing and decided to tour the rest of the space. In addition to its dance hall, there are several exhibit halls showcasing the history of The Presidio and its shaping of San Francisco culture. 






I really hope the swing dancing is something that continues even if for a monthly or seasonal occasion. It's always nice to get dolled up and dance in historic venues.