Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchase(s) #16: Decor

After missing the last three Alameda antique shows, I finally made it back. I was actually concerned that it would be cancelled due to the recent rainfalls, but the weather was very kind today.


This flea market is HUGE. I would say that it's about a three mile walk if you meander through every single row, all the way to the back (and I always do). Because of the myriad goods available, you need to know what you want to buy. At least that's my method. I stick to a "to buy" list and won't let myself purchase anything else. However, if there is something else I like, I make a mental note of it. If I don't find what I'm looking for, then I'll purchase it at the end of my first walk through. I do that because what if later down the line I find what I want, and I've already blown money on something else? Of course, I run the risk of not finding anything on my "to buy" list and whatever it is I found earlier may have been purchased my another buyer. To that I say, "If it's there when I get back, then cool. If not, then it wasn't meant to be."

I've been looking for the following: an antique hand mirror, bathroom wall decor, McKee salt/pepper shakers for my kitchen and any vintage linen for my dining table. 

And here is what I found:


I finally got my hand mirror that hails from the 1940s. It is silver, has an Art Nouveau design and is quite heavy. These tend to run for at least $75 whether it's at a flea market, brick/mortar store, or online. I got this for $15. Why it was so cheap, I don't know. It's in very good condition. But I won't complain.


I really wanted some old wall art for my bathroom. I was looking for mermaids, and this seller had them, but she was charging $35 each piece (and there were 3 in the set). These two pictured above was price at $30 total. Considering that my restroom is green, I decided to buy them. There is plenty of wall space left for me to find other wall art. I want to say this is from the 1950s, but the girlie fish has a hairstyle that emulates the 1940s. Hmmm...not sure. It is definitely a heavy ceramic.

Overall, it was a good antique hunt in Alameda. Though there are a few weekends left in the year, it's quite possible that these may be my final antique/vintage purchases of the year. There will be fewer estate sales due to the Christmas holiday. But we'll see what the small antique shops have available. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment