Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchase(s) #15: Furniture Galore

November seems to have a been a big month for vintage/antique purchases. Earlier in the month, I had bought two vintage daydresses and 1936 toaster. Since moving into my new apartment (which is in fact and old 1920s building), I've been looking for more antique decor. On my must-have list was a dining bench and a mirror to go with my art deco dresser. Well, indeed I found them at an antique store in San Mateo (with very reasonable prices). 

The mirror has to be from the early 20th century (Edwardian?). I did a few of the tests that date a mirror and if true, then it could date back to the 19th century. I don't think it's that old, though, especially for the deal that I got. It also looks as if it was once part of a dresser as observed by a hole on the bottom. Regardless, it looks great hanging above my dresser.


My parents brought me a kitchen table they found at their local second-hand shops. I doubt it's antique, but it was still cute enough to put in my kitchen. It came with only two chairs, so I was set on finding a bench. It was hard to find one with the correct length. Most are over 4 feet long. I needed one at just beyond 3 feet. What I found was an old piano bench. The seat lifts for a compartment that stored sheet music. It doesn't match the table, and I'm at odds on whether or not to paint it. What I will be doing, though, is making the bench softer by adding some foam and  wrapping it in antique linen. Stay tuned for that one.


After buying these two pieces, my mom happened upon an old quit. She thought it would go very well with my bed. Indeed it is beautiful. Upon inspection, it's quite obvious that this was done by hand. Imagine the time, effort and dedication to creating such a beautiful piece. My late grandmother also made quilts. As I admire this work of art, I'm brought back to the summers and winters spent at my grandma's house in California's Central Valley. I miss her.

The crocheted quilt is my grandma's creation.
Speaking of my grandmother, I asked my parents to bring up her old cabinet. I wanted something nice (and antique) to store my printer and printing supplies.


The last item below was something of an "upcycled" project. As I was researching DIY benches, I came across some photos of old cabinets doubling as both an end-table and dog house. The more typical style was the hexagonal shaped cabinets. My grandmother also had one of those at her house. I believe one of my cousins has it. I searched several thrift shops and estate sales before finally purchasing one at the San Bruno Salvation Army; it was only $7.50! I removed the doors and stained the wood. Then I placed DaisyBell's bedding before she hopped in and napped away. I think it suits her well.


Since it is Christmas season, I purchased a small tree from one of the tree farms in Half Moon Bay and placed it atop the cabinet.

For now, I am holding off purchasing any new furniture. I think I'll start looking into more vintage linen. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment