Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Back in the booth

I was asked to co-DJ at the Klipptones show this afternoon, and I happily obliged. I created a short list to be played only during the band break, and oh what a list! Most DJs tend to have their particular shtick as far as song choice, genre, era etc. There are many, many DJs out there, and it can be pretty difficult to set yourself apart from the others. However, when you develop your own personal style, your set list can be discernible from others. When I'm at Verdi, I can tell who's behind the booth for the evening. 

I only DJ sporadically so not many people would know it's me. However, I do have a signature style. You will always hear a Spanish language song. (Believe it or not, it gets people dancing.) I don't play music from current swing bands. I stick to the classics. I will always have a mix of different genres such as Classic Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, and Big Band Swing. However, my set list will contain mostly Jump Blues. That is my favorite style, and it isn't played enough at most venues. Stompy Jones's current lead singer doesn't perform nor can he sing that style so it's been a very long time since hearing particular songs. He is a good singer; it's just a different style. Anyhow, I'd like to bring back more Jump Blues. The music can be used for different dance styles: Lindy Hop, Shag, Balboa. It keeps all types of dancers happy; though it makes for a crowded dance floor.




The Short Set list for April 12, 2015





No comments:

Post a Comment