Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Master of Suspense

A trip to the Southland means a trip to American Vintage Tattoo. I got a simpler piece but it's a masterpiece!

I am a huge fan of Alfred Hitchcock; both his cinema and his television series. This was largely due to my mom's influence as she, too, loves Hitchcock. I saw many of his films when I was a little girl, but at such a young age, I overlooked his grand artistry. Now I watch his films not only for pure entertainment but as a study of the human psyche, the art of suspense, the literary devices and cinematic technique. I often watch his series on Netflix, and if there is a Hitchcock festival, you can count on my being in attendance. I even have his albums downloaded to my computer. Whenever I soak in a warm bath, I have the album, Music to Be Murdered By playing as a serenade. Yes, strange, but really, it's just classical music including the famous Funeral March of a Marionette. 

Rather than have a detailed portrait, I decided on his most famous caricature; the Alfred Hitchcock Presents outline and shadow. I asked my artist, Bud, to use shading with different blue hues. This was often a style many pioneering film makers used for films with a night time setting: the use of blue shading. Bud did an awesome job. The lines are very clean, and the birds are stunning. My new favorite piece.




While you're here, enjoy Funeral March of a Marionette.



No comments:

Post a Comment