Search This Blog

Friday, May 15, 2015

2015 Vintage Purchase #5: 1940s Day Dress

It's that time of year! The 2015 Spring Alameda Fashion Fair descended upon Michaan's Auctions located at Alameda Point. I have withheld purchasing vintage clothing (well I bought one dress at the SF Vintage Fashion Expo earlier this year) so that I can save on purchasing more day dresses. I have plenty of evening dresses and gowns and a good amount of day dresses, but I really want to expand this realm so that I can have comfortable cotton dresses to wear to work and on the swing dance floor.

1950s themed fair. And the sunset over SF was just stunning.

The fashion fair is a two day event. The first night is always the early buy party with a fashion contest, live band and open bar. Most people come dressed in their vintage best, and of course I was no exception. I wore a blue cotton day dress from the late 1940s. I paired with a pair of true vintage  (circa 1930s), ankle strapped, peep toes. I pin-curled my hair for a side roll and ringlets.


Night one tends to be the most crowded evening because most buyers are about getting the best outfit regardless of price. I'm no different. I try to find that "Wow!" dress, but it was really hard sifting through all the inventory with so many people blocking access. It was quite rude, actually.


I was able to make one purchase today. I found a 1940s day dress at a great price: $45! Of course it's missing the belt, otherwise the dress is in perfect vintage condition.


The color is peachy with some red, gold and black print. I love the little flowers and starbursts. Since the buttons are black, I will probably just pair it with a basic black, thin belt. 

Tomorrow it is back to Alameda for day 2, and hopefully I am able to browse through other sellers' collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment