Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Ink Therapy



When I was little, I used to stare at my dad's tattooed arm, trace my finger along the lines and ask endless questions. Sometimes I tried to rub off the ink, but my dad said that the only way it would come off is if the ink was burned off. I didn't understand the concept of inked skin or even the rationale for it, but all I knew was that I loved gazing at these paintings on a human canvas. I have always been fascinated with tattoos since childhood, and it stems from the fact that had it not been for a tattoo, I wouldn't be alive today. 

My dad was 19 when he got his first tattoo. He went down to The Pike at Long Beach with his brother-in-law.  He chose a rose with a scroll and asked to have his last name inscribed in it. Fast forward 2 years later at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base. My dad was at the mess hall retrieving his meal when he saw a tiny Woman Marine (WM) looking at his arm. She pointed at his tattoo and said, "that's my last name!" Long story short: they dated, they married, they live happily ever after; the WM is my mom. I once asked her if she would've noticed him had he not had that tattoo. She said, "No. All I saw was some guy with my last name tattooed on his arm." So naturally I would be drawn to tattoos; it was my destiny. At least that's how I rationalize my own tattoos to my mom.

I have quite a few tattoos myself. I was a bit of a late bloomer when I started getting tattooed; my first one at 24. My cousin and I walked in to a San Francisco tattoo shop on Divisadero. She was there for moral support since she already had hers a few years earlier, and her only regret was going alone and picking a crappy artist. I opted for some cherries with flames on my mid/lower back; nothing special and definitely without much creative thought, but at least the work was done well.

There is just something euphoric about the tattoo process. It all starts with an idea and continues into a collaborative effort between artist and canvas. When I walk into the studio, I just stand and take in the atmosphere. The flash covered walls, the smell of sterile air and cleaning products, the melodic buzzing of the tattoo instruments and, of course, the camaraderie. I get such a rush when I sit at the chair and watch my artist get ready to sling ink to skin. Since I have an incredibly high tolerance to pain, I'm rarely uncomfortable. Sure there are spots that make you go, "oooh!" but for the most part, I find it quite soothing. When it's over, I can't help but stare admirably at my work of art.

The most common questions I get about my artwork is "what does it mean?" or "why did you get that?" The truth is, there are various reasons for getting them. My first one was just because I wanted the experience of getting one, but as I've aged, my tattoos have become more personal; some with deep symbolic meaning and some a reflection of who I am or what I love. I like to think of tattoos as illustrated representations of a person's life. The tattoos below are the ones I cherish most.


The Knock Out


Ms. Knock Out was my 36th birthday gift to myself. She was also the first new tattoo I got in four years. Prior to that, I spent most tattoo sessions touching up or reworking older tattoos. When I found the artwork, I knew I had to have it. She is a likeness of one of my favorite actresses (Clara Bow) as well as a good representation of the constant battles I've fought in recent years. I've taken some hits, but I'm a tough gal, and I manage to overcome the myriad obstacles along my life's journey.


Robert DeNiro


My most recent work (as of February 2013) is that of my all-time favorite actor. Before I decided on this piece, I considered all the people images I currently have. They're all women: Bettie Page, Clara Bow, Ms. Knock Out, and 2 pin-up faces. After I finished Clara, I decided that my next piece would be a man. But not just any man. I wanted an Edwardian gentleman in the likeness of Robert DeNiro. My tattoo artist felt the Vito Corleone character best fit that era, so I went for it. What he represents for me is the perfect man. He's handsome, dark and mysterious. He's a gentleman yet tough when he needs to be.


La Llorona


When I was a little girl, my dad used to tell me the story of La Llorona; the weeping woman in search of her children she murdered. (Hispanic parents don't really believe in the fairy tale, happily ever after bed time stories.) However, It was less a horror story and more of a cautionary tale for women; be cautious of men who make false declarations of love. La Llorona is also a ballad; one that I enjoy singing. My favorite lyric: No dejaré de quererte aunque la vida me cueste. I've listened to and sung this song for years. I never realized how much it mirrors the feelings I have now; quite prophetic.


Casados Muertos


The famous Vegas tattoo. Over the past several years, my Easters were spent at Viva Las Vegas. In 2006, I received a random email from a tattoo artist. He liked my style, my skin and my tattoos. He asked to tattoo me at the next VLV show. Why not? My friend and I (because I wasn't about to go alone) met with him at this super seedy hotel on the old strip...at midnight. We met him at his hotel room where everything was completely legit. He had his traveling tattoo equipment, new needles and a saran wrapped chair. It was definitely a good time shooting the breeze and slinging the ink. One of my best Vegas memories. I always enjoy telling the story about the tattoo more than sharing its meaning. Besides it's pretty self explanatory. El Amor Eterno.

La Maestra


I am currently an English instructor at a local college, but I used to be a high school teacher. In 2005, I decided to have Ms. Page tattooed as a teacher to represent my profession and my admiration for her. People often commented that I must be pretty vain to have myself tattooed on my arm, and I feverishly explained that it was Bettie Page. I decided to grow out my bangs to lessen my likeness to her. I've since become a redhead and now I get more comparisons to Rita Hayworth.

The tattoos above are just a few of the many others I have on my body. I also have red roses, sugar skulls, pin-ups, swallows, cherries and hellcats but they're more for my affection of American Traditional art than any deep meaning. The next few sessions will focus more on smaller images and filler art to connect the larger pieces.

I do have another planned project: An American Traditional tattoo of Saint Catherine of Alexandria - the patron saint of women, scholars and educators. She will be depicted in prayer and framed within the breaking wheel. I just need to consider placement. Stay tuned; there is definitely a story and a parallel of our lives; coming some time in late 2013 or early 2014.