Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Antique/Vintage Hunting (UPDATED 4/11/13)

One of my longtime hobbies is antique/vintage hunting. This is thanks to my dad who'd always drag me around antique stores when I was a kid. Eventually, I'd end up dragging him around (though he was all too happy to join). Back in SoCal, we'd always go down to Old Town Orange, Downtown Fullerton, Uptown Whittier, Retro Row, and the antique/vintage swap meets in Pomona, Pasadena and Long Beach. Sometimes we'd drive along highway 99 often stopping at small towns with antique stores; we'd always find good deals. Of course there were days when we didn't buy anything at all. We'll do it for nostalgic purposes and take many trips down memory lane.

My love for antiques and vintage clothing has not waned. When I'm not dancing, gardening or hiking, I'm out antique hunting around the Bay Area's vintage fairs and flea markets. I've amassed a large collection of clothing, shoes and hats from the 1920s, 30s, 40s, and early 50s. I've also found some furniture and appliances; most were actually free.

Part of the fun of antique/vintage hunting is exploring other areas beyond your locale. I've taken short day trips to Petaluma, Concord, Port Costa, and Stockton for their fairs. I also went as far as Sacramento for a daytrip which proved exhausting. So I've decided if the drive is 2+ hours, might as well make a weekend of it and enjoy the area and its antique fair. Next week, I'll be staying in Santa Cruz for their monthly fair. (Warm weather permitting, I may enjoy a morning surf session.)

My current hunt is for a victrola. In fact, I'm looking for "the victrola man" who is selling a pristine condition portable victrola with 78s and multiple needles. I didn't have the money at the time, but I said, "if it's meant to be, I'll find you again."  It's been two months thus far, but he did mention that he only occasionally sells around the bay area. I didn't find him today in Alameda, so here's hoping he'll be in Santa Cruz next weekend.

So what am I to do with all the stuff I accumulate? My dream is to be able to buy an older home (preferably in HMB) and design it to my vintage specifications. When I have visitors, I want them to feel as if they stepped back in time when life was simpler and carefree.

Stay tuned to this post. I'll be adding more pictures of my vintage purchases. Meanwhile, admire the most recent finds below.

A typical day at Alameda Antique Faire


Some of my vintage appliances and furniture


A small selection of my vintage dresses circa 1930s-40s


Today's (3/3/13) finds: 30s oxfords, hat and dress; 40s overalls and blue day dress.


3/16/13 From the SF Vintage Expo 40s on the left 20s on the right

From the Vintage Fashion Faire (3/23/13) Perfect for swing dancing!



1930s dresses for the low, low price of $140 (total!)


A 1920s cabinet purchased from an estate sale.