Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2013

Green Thumbs

In an earlier post, I wrote about my desire to move to Half Moon Bay. I frequently visit there on a weekly basis often finding different trails to hike and explore. Other times, I drive around gazing out at the farmland. What I love about HMB is this mixture of beach/country culture. It fits my character perfectly; I'm part surfer, part country girl.

I used to spend summers in the San Joaquin Valley at my grandmother's house. SJV is the agricultural capital of the world. I recall walking with my grandmother near the vineyards on our way to church. Other days, were spent at a dairy farm or an egg-producing farm. Some days I would sit in her living room browsing all the picture books she kept readily available. I loved looking at old pictures of my dad's childhood. His family was migrant farm workers often following the season to tend the harvest. No matter how tough the farm working was, he and his parents & siblings always took the time to pause from their work and smile for a picture. These are the images I love most.

Those valley summers were insanely hot; triple digits. Sometimes it was best to spend the day outdoors because it was much cooler than being in a house without air condition. I'd always walk around the house admiring the gardens. My grandmother's backyard was huge! At least it was when I was much younger. As I got older, the yard just seemed to get smaller and smaller (yet still much larger than most suburban homes). The side yard was lined with the most beautiful roses in reds, yellows, oranges and pinks. There was always a sweet, rosy smell in the air. On the far end of the backyard was her vegetable garden from which she made her salsas, beans, and other dishes. God, how I miss her cooking.

That tradition of maintaining a sustainable garden was carried on by my dad. He maintains a huge yard at his home. He raises lemon, orange, pomegranate, and grapefruit trees. He grows tomatoes, jalapeños, bell peppers and various spices such as cilantro and basil. He takes great pride in his urban farm. Every weekend, he awakes at dawn to begin trimming, pruning, cutting and watering.Whenever I visit, I often join my dad; quality father/daughter time. The best part is just sitting on a bench admiring the hard work.  Later, I'll pick through all the tomatoes and peppers to make salsa; just like my grandmother made it.

I, too, am currently maintaining a vegetable garden in my backyard. Since I am a strict vegetarian, it made sense to start growing my own food than relying on the grocery. I try as best as I can to follow the seasons, but San Francisco seems to have only two; spring and winter with the occasional Indian summer.  Regardless, I've been quite successful with growing food from seed. I've grown the following vegetables to abundance: zucchini, tomatoes, baby red potatoes, green onions, garlic and spinach. It was tough keeping up with the zucchini to a point that I invested in a spirooli and learned to make zucchini pasta. I also made zucchini bread as a dessert. The tomatoes, onions, garlic and jalapeños were used for my salsas. It seems to taste so much better prepared within moments of harvesting.

I've also become adept at canning. I currently grow strawberries and rhubarb, and I am looking forward to making jams and fruit spreads from my garden. Usually I purchase strawberries from the local farmers' market to make my jams. Hopefully I'll be able to grow cucumbers this year, too, so that I can make my own pickles.

This season, I've planted the following items: cabbage, romaine lettuce, broccoli, artichoke, brussel sprouts, and onions. Since having a terrible January frost, I've had to restart my spice garden (cilantro, basil, oregano), though the parsley and rosemary have survived and continue to grow.

Like my dad, I often pause to admire my fruitful efforts. I realize that maintaining my garden is not only benefiting my physical health, but it also benefits my emotional health. Rising with the sun and tending to my garden is definitely therapeutic and rewarding. You know that when you produce healthy fruits and vegetables, your self-healing efforts are working.



My garden