Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Getting away: Santa Cruz

In a previous post, I described myself as a “renaissance lady”; a college instructor, a linguist, a scholar of literature, a swing dancer, a member of a 20s/30s era chorus girl dance troupe, an artist, a model, and a DJ. That is a lot to pile on my plate, but I enjoy every bit of what I do. However, I often feel that I need to take time out and be away from everything. My week is spent with people; students, colleagues, professors, dancers, and photographers. Once Friday arrives, I want it to be all about me.

My weekends are spent hiking trails along the peninsular coast and antique/vintage hunting at local fairs. After a friend told me about her solo excursions, I decided that a monthly getaway would be good for me. This weekend, I stayed in Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz had their monthly antique fair this weekend, so I packed a small bag with my hiking gear, a couple of cute outfits, and evening wear. While my purpose was to look for vintage items, I decided to make the drive worthwhile and turn it into a mini getaway. Instead of taking the fastest route, I took my time and drove along Cabrillo Highway.

Driving along Cabrillo Highway

I drove about 55 mph set on cruise control, hooked up my iPad to play 1920s music and took in all the sites. I made several stops along the way just to admire the surroundings and take a few snapshots. Pigeon Point was the loveliest with its historic lighthouse. There were some short trails nearby, and of course, I traversed them.

Once I arrived in Santa Cruz, I noticed that not much has changed. It looks exactly the same as it had when I last visited 17 years ago. That actually made me quite happy. It's nice to see a city retain its original charm. Since I had a few hours before checking in at the hotel, I walked along the boardwalk and the pier. It reminded me very much of New York's Coney Island except without all the circus freaks and hotdogs. I moved north along the cliffs toward the lighthouse. As I was watching the surfers in the ocean, I thought how much I regretted leaving my board at home (next trip). The surf museum was a nice alternative to wading in the water (but it was so tiny). During my walk, I chatted a bit with the locals about swing dancing, dogs (of course Daisy was with me) and Santa Cruz geography. I was told that just outside "The Mystery Spot" there was nice trail that was dog friendly.


After the sunset, I went back to the pier to see the boardwalk lights and then along downtown's main drag. I avoided the big named restaurants and dined instead at an off the beaten path hole in the wall. The evening temps were perfect enough to eat outside and watch passers-by. The Nick was nearby showing Silver Linings Playbook. I'd been wanting to see this film since it co-stars my all time favorite actor Robert De Niro. I stayed for the 9:30 show. (I'll post a review later in the week.)

 

Earlier this morning, I finally did my browsing of the antique fair. Unfortunately, it was a disappointment. Most of the clothing was 90s "vintage" with very few antique items available. It was someone's junk that would eventually become someone else's treasure. On the bright side, I didn't spend too much money (money I can use for next week's Vintage Expo). And I was okay with that. Had it been just a one day trip for the fair, it would've been a waste of gas and time. Instead, it was a pleasant experience where I could take in and admire the local attractions. Most importantly, it was time spent enjoying myself free from the stresses of every day life.


April's getaway: Folsom, CA