Search This Blog

Sunday, April 7, 2013

My newest (and greatest) vintage acquisition!

Though I'd been updating my previous post (Antique/Vintage Hunting) with my latest vintage finds, today's purchase needed to be a post of its own.

After many years of fawning over old gramophones at various antique flea markets, antique shops, estate sales sold for astronomically high prices, I finally FINALLY purchased one today at Alameda Pointe Antique Faire.

Let's start from the beginning...

I originally came across a seller (whom I nicknamed "The Victrola Man") back in January, but I didn't have the money at the time. He was an older gentleman who restored old gramophones. I asked if he often sold at Alameda.  He said that he lived in Sacramento so he didn't always sell there every month. I told him, "if it's meant to be, I'll find you again." Well, I wanted it to definitely be. For the past three months, I drove to antique fairs in Sacramento, Concord, Santa Cruz, Alameda (again and again), Treasure Island and Cow Palace. I had no luck; not even in his hometown! Even though there were other sellers who had gramophones, the Victrola man would add extra needles and about thirty 78s; all for a relatively low price. Plus, Victrola was (and is) THE brand to own. No knockoffs, Edisons or RCAs for this vintage gal.

This morning, I met my friend for breakfast (Marti's Place has the best darn blueberry pancakes) and he asked, "what are we all looking for today?" I immediately said, "I'm still on the hunt for Victrola Man. I want a Victrola." And of course, I had to stop and visit my vintage clothing seller (Tracy) who always provides me with 1920s-40s clothing and accessories.

I beelined toward Tracy's selling space, but, unfortunately, the 1930s dresses she bought had yet to arrive from Canada. I have to wait a few more weeks. She was sorry not to have any items for me this time around, but I took it all as a positive sign; less money to spend especially if I'd find the Victrola Man. So I walked toward the back of the market (as I always do) to weave around the selling spaces until I reached the front. I walked past five rows before I heard classic jazz music playing not from some satellite radio, but from a gramophone. I turned to my left and there was Mr. Victrola Man. He had five gramophones for sale; three of them were Victrolas. I was relieved to have finally found him and even told him that I had been searching for him for three months. He smiled and said, "well here I am."

One Victrola was marked sold, but he had two others to choose from or I can take the cheaper, some other brand named gramophones. Nope, I wanted the real thing. So I forked over the cash and told him that I'd be back with a cart to roll it away (it's surprisingly heavy). He asked what type of music I wanted. I answered, "anything I can dance to. I'm a swing dancer." He gave me thirty 78s. We shook hands before I departed with my Victrola.

I already had a space cleared for my Victor Talking Machine and I was all too eager to begin playing it. As I was listening to a few 78s, I decided to research its age. I Googled the the model and seriel numbers and learned that it was originally manufactured in 1912. It is 101 years old. Imagine that. Who would have ever thought that back in 1912 as someone was purchasing this machine for their home, it would still be playing music in someone's living room in 2013. Amazing.

Below are images of my newest antique purchase and a sampling of its playing (Toot Toot Tootsie by Al Jolson). 

Enjoy.


Purchased 4/7/13 at Alameda Antique Faire


Definitely a great addition in my living room.