Search This Blog

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Goodbye Little Star

It was about that time...


That's right. A trip to SoCal requires a visit to my favorite tattoo parlor in Orange. I was completely undecided on which design to tattoo; Robert DeNiro Portrait, a 1920s diver, Wonder Woman. For some reason, I just wasn't ready for either of those. So I decided on an old idea I once had; the gramophone. After all, I enjoy classic big band jazz. I own a 1912 gramophone and I DJ 1920s-40s music.

At first I was going to place it just below the ditch of the arm; I've always been afraid of that pain of tattooing on it. When I approached Bud (my artist), I told him, "ah hell with it, cover the stars." I knew that meant going into the ditch. He said, "I'm not going to lie; it's pretty harsh." I gave about 5 seconds thought, and just said, "let's do it." 

I got the stars many years ago for no good reason other than to see the ink-slinging process. My dad hated them because it reminded him of the Dallas Cowboys. And us being die-hard 49ers fans...eww! So I really started to hate them. I got them lasered twice; light enough to easily cover them. Now that was PAINFUL! I figured anything else would be more pleasant. And I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't really much pain in the ditch. Bud loves tattooing me because I give him the concept and complete control on design and color. I trust his judgment completely. As an added bonus, I never flinch as he tattoos.

He came out with a beautiful design and the cover up is just awesome. Now let the healing process begin.

The BEFORE and AFTER

Post Script: As I was getting tattooed, Kenny Baker's "Goodbye Little Star" kept playing in my head. Appropriate for this tattoo post. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment