Search This Blog

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Back in the Groove!

Back in October, I suffered a very painful knee injury. As I was walking down a flight of stairs, I kept my hand on the rail (as I always do) and came to a part that was detached. I lost my balance and my knee twisted. I felt and heard a loud pop! I had to keep it stabilized and walk with a cane. An MRI revealed that there were no tears. I only suffered a severe sprain. Whew! So after months of healing and physical therapy, I was given the clearance to live my active life again. 

In January, I got back on the dance floor slowly. I did my performance with my dance troupe, DJ'd our events, and then had two or three dances thereafter. I started going to the gym to strengthen the muscles around my knees. I considered going to Verdi, but I'd hesitate and sit it out another week thinking the following Tuesday would be the night to go. 

This past week, my friend, Burnie, asked me to DJ his event at Berkeley's Ashkenaz. I obliged and considered it a test-run of my endurance. It was also a live band performance so I made it a point to dance as the band played and not during my set. With pre-recorded music, you already know the duration, beats, stops, and the melodic shifts of each song. A live performance is unpredictable. I had several dances without missing a beat. The leaders complimented me on my grace. A few ladies approached me complimenting my dance skills. This has definitely motivated me to get back on the floor on a regular basis.

This morning I awoke and felt no soreness in or around my knee. I am completely healed! Yay!

At Ashkenaz - Band: Lavay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers
The selfie was more about showing my tattoos more than the hair.

Shifting on to a related topic, Burnie had introduced me by several names since I have so many: First my real name, then The Painted Lady, RoseRed, Rosie etc. The Painted Lady is just a profile handle. RoseRed is my chorus girl name. I'm considering ditching the name Rosie all together and just using my true name. However, being introduced as "The Painted Lady...Noemi" has a good ring to it.

The dancers out there loved my setlist. The one song that wowed them the most was Lalo Guerrero's Chicas Patas Boogie. It is a Spanish language cover of Oh Babe. One of my friends asked if it was a modern cover. She was surprised to learn that the recording is actually much older. I informed her that Lalo Guerrero was a Chicano musician very prominent during the late 30s-50s, and he performed during the height of the Pachuco subculture. This song, itself, was recorded in 1950.



Here is my setlist from last night's dance good for Lindy Hop, EC Swing, Balboa, and Shag.


No comments:

Post a Comment