Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2016

All Moved In and Ready to Design and Decorate

Since receiving the key, I've spent all of September making improvements to my house; both inside and outside.


The Backyard
The backyard was a huge task pulling out all the old trees and plants and putting in new ones. It took an entire weekend and a trip to the dump, but it got done. I've planted the following trees in addition to the peach tree that was already there: plum, cherry, pomegranate, and avocado.  It's still a work in progress as I've yet to begin my victory garden. I also have plans to build a chicken coop. That's right, my backyard will be my own private farm.


As you can see from the panorama above, I have a deck. Eventually I will build a patio (with the help of my weekend warrior parents, of course). Other small projects I'd like to have completed/included by next summer: a tiki bar, a bbq grill, torch lighting and a pull down screen. I think it would be nice to project old films; have friends over for a cocktail and classic films.

It's like living in the woods.
The Living Room
What little furniture I have is of course antique. I brought my 1912 victrola, a gutted 1920s victrola that serves as a cabinet, a lamp table, a side table that belonged to my grandparents, end tables and my upright bass. So where to sit? My parents and I went up to Sacramento's antique row to look for some seating. We came out with a lot of goods. We bought a 3-piece parlor set that dates back to the 1890s. 


The curtains, though modern, added a nice vintage appeal. I also included art work by Tamara De Lempicka. What I need now is a rug and perhaps a coffee table. We'll see.

Bedroom #1
I finally got to use my 1930s beaded chandelier. It lights up my room quite beautifully. The closets are quite small, so I drove up to Upper Lake to purchase an Art Deco armoire that matched perfectly with my highboy dresser. 




Bedroom #2
The guest room is not yet complete. Right now it's just a bed and setee. I need to find a dresser and perhaps a blanket chest for my extra linens. Still, as it is, it's a comfortable place to sleep. My parents certainly love it.

Dining Area
It's an eat in kitchen. I found a vintage table mantel which I topped with a plastic cover (it's the Latin in me) and some flowers. The art work is Edward Hopper's Nighthawks.


Bathroom
I have to say that I HATE the bathroom. It is tiny. But, no place is perfect. There are far more positives in this house. The bathroom just happens to be the negative. All I can do is make it as comfortable as possible. I took some crates, stained them, and made them my towel storage. My dad put up a shelf over the window to keep other bathroom items.


At Treasure Island, I purchased this DIY type of hook. Different, but I liked the look of it. I screwed it in and now have a convenient place for a hand towel.


That's all for now. Eventually I'll add more posts to show other improvements and additions. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment