Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2015

2015 Vintage Purchases #2: A Perfect Match!

This Valentine's Weekend was spent antique hunting with my family. My parents came up for a visit, and since they, too, enjoy the antique festivals circuit, they wanted to check out new (to them) shops. I took them to this place off Valencia and Duboce. The place is simply called Stuff.  It has a lot of stuff, indeed, and my parents loved it. Towards the end of our perusing, my dad said, "often times I forget to look up at ceiling or top shelves." As he said, I spied a chandelier that looked awfully familiar. I pointed and said, "doesn't that look like my sconce?" Just a few months prior, I purchased a 1930s wall sconce with beading. I quickly went through the pictures on the phone and found my sconce. Sure enough, it was a match. When I purchased my sconce, it had a pair that was sold a few months prior. They actually split apart. =(   So when I saw this chandelier, I knew I had to have it.

My sconce had cost me $200. I figured this chandelier would be twice that amount. In fact, the other chandeliers were going for at least $500. This one didn't have a tag so I inquired about its price. The store clerk priced it at $150. (STEAL) "I'll take it." I didn't even hesitate. It's in great shape, but it will need to have the wiring repaired; that's an easy fix.  Rarely do you ever find a matching antique fixture. 

Chandelier on the left. My sconce on the right.

Later, we ventured down to San Mateo to our favorite antique shop. I purchased another quilt fit for the upcoming spring season. I also found some great antique table mantels, but I'll get those next month. Now that I have a quilt for winter and spring, I'll need to find one each for summer and fall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment