Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

May's Getaway: Pescadero, CA

May was a relatively stressful month in that the semester at SF State is coming to a close. It was a lot of presentations and projects. As a result, I neglected my weekend hiking activity to focus on my work. Thankfully that is done with; just one more semester, and I'll have earned my master's degree.Yay me! So it's back to being one with nature and searching for new trails.

If there was any a time to leave San Francisco, this was the weekend to do it. Bay to Breakers draws in a large weekend crowd, and the race itself shuts down the roadways. I wanted no part of it (maybe next year since our dance troupe is thinking of doing the race as a team). So I decided to venture south to Pescadero. Again, I took Cabrillo Highway instead of the quicker route along 280. It was the first time that I drove through the new tunnel just past Pacifica. I was hoping they'd keep the old road open for those who wanted to venture off the beaten path. Alas, it remains closed. I'll miss that meandering drive.

Before getting to town, I stopped at Pescadero State Beach and Marsh. I walked along the coastline before traversing beneath the highway and into the marsh lands. What a site it was.
It was so peaceful listening to the rustling trees, the ocean breaking along the shoreline, streams flowing along the river bed, and birds chirping in song. Along my path were a few hares hopping cautiously and lizards scurrying into bushes. Intertwined amongst the bushes are the poison ivy vines. I was extra cautious after having been infected by the plant's toxins a few months ago. Not fun. But I made it through without a scratch.

After my 2 hour journey, I drove into town. It's about a 2 mile stretch from the coastline before coming to the first (the only) stop at Pescadero. It's only a single street that takes you into its downtown. The buildings and homes are straight out of an old western film. The folks are friendly and give you a cheerful smile as you pass along the sidewalk. There were a few shoppes open for business. One lady had her vintage cooking wares on display. I asked how much she was selling them for until she said it was for show. She just wasn't ready to part with them just yet. A few doors down was the town's antique shop. Unfortunately it was closed, but I peered through the windows to find a wonderful array of old hats, clothing and housewares. 

As I continued further into town, I kept thinking about my casual walks with my grandmother in old Earlimart. It's the same country atmosphere where everyone knows each other. At the local mart was an outdoor area where people ate lunch and listened to the local musicians play a few sets. I noticed a few out of towners (like myself) visiting the area as a way of escaping from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Just outside of town is the local cemetery; St. Anthony's Catholic Cemetery. Although at one point it was known as Mt. Hope. The headstones dated back to the late 1800s. I always found old cemeteries fascinating. It's not so much a morbid curiosity as it is just an acknowledgement and appreciation of those whose lives once thrived here generations before. In a way, it's kind of a venture to the past.

As I sat and observed my surroundings, I pondered whether or not to live in this area. It's still the beach/country town that I desire. At this point I can say that my preferred domicile is between Montara and Pescadero. I definitely want to stay closer to nature and the serene qualities it offers. Some day.