Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2013

The Great Gatsby...not so great

I attended the viewing yesterday. My rating would be 2 stars out of 5. I didn't completely dislike the film, but there were definitely moments when I felt like walking out of the theatre. My pre-assessment of this film will remain along with my final in italics.

The Great Gatsby is a literary masterpiece. I've read the novel at different stages of my life; my junior year of high school, my junior year of college and as a teacher of junior and senior English. (I am currently developing a lesson plan to teach the novel at the collegiate level.) The plot is quintessential Roaring Twenties known for its jazz music, flapper culture, prohibition, and bootlegging crime syndicate. Author F. Scott Fitzgerald takes his readers on an exploration of decadence as he describes, in gaudy detail, the lifestyles of the elite and influential.

I still feel this way. No film can ever remain faithful to the novel on which its based, but I tried to go into this viewing separating the two as completely independent of each other. As such, there will be no comparisons to the novel, but a review solely on the film's merits.

So someone may think that a person who loves the novel may be excited about the upcoming 2013 film adaptation. Well, I'm not. For one, I don't usually like watching films after I've read the books on which they're based (though I did enjoy the 1974 adaptation). However, considering my love for all things vintage, I decided to give the film a shot. I'm on the list to watch the premier this Thursday, and of course I will be dressed in appropriate period attire.

Indeed I attended in period appropriate attire. I wore a true vintage day dress from 1927. It was paired with a late 20s hat (not a cloche). My hair is shoulder length which is a bit long for a bob that was popular in its day. Instead, I opted to roll up my hair at the base of my scalp and pin-curl the lose ends; typical of a 20s lady with long hair. When I attended the premier, I expected to find women donning the stereotypical attire. Yes, there were many women in beaded dresses with feathers and headbands. As if this was the only style of its day. Understandably, they were mimicking the wardrobe displayed on screen. 


I really don't like Leo DiCaprio, and I abhor the lackluster acting skills of Tobey Maguire, but I'm hoping the set direction and the make-up/wardrobe ensembles will save this picture.

I must admit that DiCaprio gave a great performance as Gatsby. He truly was into his character not just physically but emotionally. Maguire was typical Maguire; wide eyed and slack jawed. He nearly ruined the picture for me. Between Daisy and Jordan, the female leads, I felt Daisy was just too bored throughout the picture and Jordan provided the deadpan comical relief. She had some great one-liners (of course Fitzgerald provided these quips). Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan was ever so despicable much like his literary counterpart; a vile, racist cad. Awesome performance.

The wardrobe department obviously did their homework for men's wardrobe. I must say DiCaprio looked stunning in his attire both casual and evening. The menswear was varied to include daytime, casual, evening, and sporty. The women's wardrobe was a bit lackluster. It was as if the wardrobe coordinator bought beaded dresses off the rack and said, "here, put these on and dance."

Speaking of dancing; apparently the film's budget didn't leave room for a choreographer or even dance lessons. When Mulligan and Maguire attempted to do the Charleston, I just wanted to say, "please stop." Many of the elaborate (?) dance numbers were too modern. It was as if the local disco dance hall had a 20s dress up theme night complete with hip hop and waving hands in the air. Please. View any 20s film and you will see NO ONE danced that way. The "chorus girls" were straight out of a hip hop video gyrating their hips and mugging the camera. Bleh! 


The cinematography was horrible the first half of the film. It felt too cartoony. The best way to explain this is: think about "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" in the scene where Eddie Valiant visits toon town. The chaos and the speed of its pace were nearly identical to that of Gatsby's New York City. One of the characters was too comical to take seriously as a flapper girl. And I don't mean ha ha funny, but over the top silly. Her chartreuse hair was too plastered to create an effective Marcel wave style.


The last half of the film slowed down to focus on Gatsby's psyche and unrequited love for Daisy. At this point, the film becomes tolerable to where you can feel great empathy for the eponymous character.

Last night, as I was watching Mad Men, the newest preview aired. Imagine my horror upon hearing hip hop music as its backdrop and the names of Jay-Z, Beyoncé, will.i.am, Fergie...and blah blah blah flashed across the screen. How can someone take an era renowned for its jazz influence and insert hip hop in its place?  

And that brings up to the musical direction. I had not realized that hip-hop existed in the 1920s. I was quite sure that the decade was known as The Jazz Age. Apparently the director's rationale was to appeal to younger audiences, but what he's really selling is a lie. If the intent is to market an era to younger generations, this can be done with era appropriate music. There were some risqué tunes at its time as well as upbeat tempos. The contemporary music was too much of a distraction.

 A complete and total abomination.

Okay, so maybe not completely. The music and party/dance sequences were too over the top to enjoy, but when it came to the storyline, it was bearable. Director Baz Luhrmann has Fitzgerald to thank for that, otherwise it would just be another movie bust much like his previous films.