Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Annual Antique Fairs

In addition to the monthly fairs around the bay area, some communities will hold one large annual antique fair. So far this year, I've been to three: Petaluma, Pleasanton and Niles (Fremont).  What I like about these communities is the old town charms each city maintains and the friendly neighborhood atmosphere that is severely lacking in San Francisco (with the exception of West Portal; my favorite SF neighborhood). I try to make the most of my short trek to these communities. I'll wake at dawn, ready myself in comfortable vintage attire, and take in the sites as I make the hour drive to my destination.

These local affairs are always put together by local business owners, police and firefighters, cafes and various other associations. A pancake breakfast is guaranteed at these functions, and for being an assembly lined preparation, the food is quite good. The best part is chumming it up with person randomly seated at your table. I always enjoy sitting with seniors. They always "remember when this place used to be..." A living, breathing history book.

Petaluma and Pleasanton have some very good sellers. Many antique housewares, vintage clothing, furniture and old time entertainment are prevalent throughout the fair. Niles, on the other hand, for being such a historic district with pride in its silent cinema routes, there were hardly any vintage or antique items. Most of it was modern goods that were cheaply made sold at a high price. Oh well, strike Niles off my "revisit" list; at least not for the antique fairs. It's definitely a place I'll return to for their silent film museum.

Petaluma





Pleasanton


Niles