Search This Blog

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Car hops and Vintage Shops

I didn't expect to go vintage shopping today since the second weekend of any month is pretty slow. My friend invited me over to Alameda to do some vintage hunting at boutiques along Park Street. Generally, I don't like to shop and brick & mortar stores; there's no room for haggling, but I opted to give it a try.

When we got to Park St., I was pleasantly surprised to find a classic car show in progress. I'm a Chevy girl so I was more in awe of the vintage and classic Chevrolets. Usually I see 50s, but there was an abundance of 1920s-40s autos. My tastes in classic autos have changed a bit. Though I still love the 56 Bel Air 2-door hardtop, I really love the 19teens, 20s, 30s autos and trucks. I'm actually considering perhaps investing in an auto from the earlier decades. AND, I'd prefer it to be a functioning rust bucket. As beautiful as those cars at the show are, I can appreciate a muted paint job. Let the car reflect its age.


The first shop we ventured was Juniper Tree. The prices were decent with a huge inventory. Most of it was 50s and 60s (a lot), but among the mix were a few 30s and 40s clothing. I spied a pink eyelet dress from the late 1930s. For $38? Heck yeah I bought it.


My friend found a hat that he thought would be perfect for me. I have so many hats already, but when he had me try it on, I handed it to the shop clerk to add to my purchase. What I like most about the hat is the swirl and netting. Very film noirish.



The next shop we explored was the Rocket Reuse Bookstore. It was a bookstore and vintage clothing shop in one. I didn't find anything there, but I loved its artistic take on the vintage era.



Another good vintage shopping weekend. Next weekend will be a busy one. 2 days of Alameda Vintage Fashion Fair, the F-line Frolic, Stanford Theatre, Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival and the 49er game. Whew!