Search This Blog

Sunday, October 27, 2013

I'm making an offer they WILL refuse....

A couple months ago, I posted an entry about my house hunting experience. It's been a while since my last update only because I've been super busy. My school is currently going through the accreditation process, I'm only weeks away from completing my master's degree, I've had a photo shoot, and I've been rehearsing and performing with my dance troupe. Yes, I have a lot on my plate. Despite the stress, everything is going smoothly. Thus, I haven't really been out searching for a house. Only in the last two weeks have I been actively looking. Here's what I've learned.

Stay on the west side
I been driving through neighborhoods with houses for sale. Whenever I see bars on the windows, unkempt lawns, and narrow streets filled with parked cars, that just tells me that most of these houses are filled with renters. They have no pride in maintaining a nice property. No thank you! Any place east of El Camino Real is a toilet (yes, Demian, was right about that).

Cape Cod should stay on the east coast
I know the purpose of this design style is to withstand stormy weather. The whole neighborhood is Cape Cod which tells me the weather is horrible year round. Regardless, not all the houses along the coast are built this way. So why this neighborhood? The garage space is practically non existent. A carport has more room for my truck. Another negative is the angular structure of the rooftop; it cuts into much needed height clearance and closet space. I have a ton of vintage clothing. I need the closet space. And I'm a tall lady. I can't constantly duck under the door frame.

Trust your instincts
I usually apply this logic to my vintage shopping. When I try on a dress and I don't get that, "OH MY GAWD!" reaction, I leave it on the rack. You have to love it before you buy it. Same thing with home buying. Don't settle. If it doesn't feel right, pass on it.

All things considered, I did find a house that I do like. So I made an offer on it. I know I won't get it because I'm bidding on the low end, and it is still a seller's market. I told my realtor that I'm quite positive I won't get it, but going through the process is a good learning experience. At the very least, it's good to know that I've already been pre-approved for a home loan. Most realtors and lenders won't even look at you without one. So I feel good knowing that I'm at least in good standing. We'll see what happens.