Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchases #4: Portland, Oregon

During my brief stay in Portland, I managed to fit in a bit of shopping time in between conferences. Portland has several shops sprinkled throughout its city limits. I only managed to visit three: Hollywood Vintage, Red Fox Vintage and Xtabay Vintage.


Hollywood has a huge selection of clothing for both men and women. Most of it was 50s-80s, but there was a separate room of 30-40s dresses. I found a pink, cotton day dress for $29. I loved that it was 29 flat as there is no sales tax in Oregon.


Red Fox Vintage had an interesting set up. It wasn't just one shop. It was a unit that housed multiple sellers. Though it had some nice items, it was really hard to go through a hodgepodge of different eras. There was no categorization whatsoever. Most of the items were from the 70s. Still, there were some great furniture pieces but nothing I can take back on a plane. I didn't make any purchases at Red Fox.

The last shop I visited was Xtabay. I've heard a lot about this place mainly on Etsy and on Pinterest. The shop owners were very friendly and accommodating, and they seemed to have a good eye for which dresses would suit you best. They were a bit on the pricey side, but the vintage clothing is in excellent condition. Plus, the zero sales tax made me feel less guilty about making a purchase of this lovely dress:


If I had more time in Portland, I'm pretty sure I would've walked away with more purchases. The next time I go back to PDX, it will be primarily to shop and swing dance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment