Search This Blog

Sunday, April 20, 2014

2014 Hike #11: Angel Island

The weather was perfect this Easter Sunday. I decided to spend my day hiking Angel Island. There is no direct vehicle access to this island as other places in the Bay Area (Treasure Island, Alameda), so you have to take the ferry to reach Angel Island. There are only three routes; Oakland, San Francisco, and Tiburón. I really don't like to venture into downtown be it car or public transportation. It's just hard to get there when you're coming from the Sunset. So I decided to drive out to Marin County and take the Angel Island-Tiburón route. It's cheaper than the San Francisco Ferry, too.

The day was clear and the outdoor temperature was a perfect 72 degrees. The ferry cut across the bay where you can see stunning views of the San Francisco skyline, The Golden Gate Bridge, and Marin County. The only negative is that I get terrible seasickness. I have to remember to take dramamine before boarding the ferry again.


Top: Angel Island
Bottom: Golden Gate Bridge (L) and Mount Tam (R)

Once on the island, I ascended the Sunset Trail to Mt. Livermore, the island's highest peak. No matter which part of the trail you stood, there was always a beautiful view. Along the trail was some of the burnt out flora from the 2008 fire; perhaps its remnants serving as a reminder to be sensitive of nature.





It took nearly 2 hours to reach the peak. Once I got there, the panoramic views were breathtaking.

From the East Bay to the Marin Headlands

From the Marine Headlands, to Mt. Tam, the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge to Richmond
There were other trails that traversed the foothills as part of its historic route. As much as I would have wanted to do this expedition, my feet and legs were wearing out. Plus, it's a reason for me to come back and explore other areas. I also saw campgrounds; perhaps a future camping spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment