Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchases #5: Sewing machine

It was 3 months ago when the last Alameda Pointe Antique Faire had great weather. In February it was cancelled due to rain. In March, it rained again only this time faire went on. I guess the organization didn't want to cancel 2 months in a row. They should have, though, since most of the vintage inventory sat uncovered and ruined by the rain. Most sellers left and very few buyers attended.



Today, the weather couldn't be better. It was a perfect 68 degrees with barely a cloud in the sky. It also brought out many of the Bay Area denizens as it was extremely crowded at 9am. I went to the faire with a mental shopping list of five items: cat-eye frames, sewing machine, white needlepoint handbag and a mirrored tray for my vanity. I ran into quite a few friends at the faire and they laughed at the idea of a shopping list for an antique faire. "But of course," I explained, "if I didn't have a list, I'd buy the whole market. It keeps me from spending more than I should." Then they all smiled as they said, "smart!" 

I went back to the usual vintage glasses vendor for a new (old) pair of frames. I found a great pair for which he gave me a deal since I am a repeat customer; not only of his frames but of the prescription service. I should have the glasses in a couple of weeks.

I found quite a few sewing machines but most of them were in the $200 range. I found White Sewing Machine for $45 with a patent date of 1913. I figured it was a good deal, so I purchased it. It's outfitted with a motor which was most likely an add on as electrical machines came into popularity. I'm currently doing some additional research and also figuring out how it works. I'm not having much luck on the electric part of it, but it can still be hand cranked. This looks to be a fun little project. 



No comments:

Post a Comment