Search This Blog

Sunday, May 4, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchase #6: 1940s Day Dress

So I made a promise this month to not make any vintage purchases. I even swore off the Alameda Antique Market this weekend so that I could save up for next month's Alameda Vintage Fashion Fair.

Yesterday, I had a performance at Verdi. Our dance troupe was on the bill to perform at the Johnny Boyd show, and it was to be among the big events to kick off the summer season. When I arrived at the venue, I was stunned to find a local shop selling vintage clothing in the bar area. Of course I had to peruse the inventory and I found this amazing dress. I swear, it was as if the dress was calling to me. I looked at the measurements, and it was spot on. The price was even better. So of course, I made the purchase. After I said wasn't going to make any vintage purchases!!! Well just this one. No more. I even skipped Alameda today.

How can anyone resist this lovely piece? A 1940s day dress in near perfect condition. The details are amazing, particularly the stitching. I wonder if it may even be older. The material is sort of like the flour sacks of the 1930s when many women used them to sew dresses (it was the Depression era.) But then again, it would make sense for it to be from the 40s considering the rationing of certain materials during World War II. Most women (especially of the middle and working class) sewed their own clothing. However, this dress is most likely deadstock for it survive in such great condition over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment