Search This Blog

Sunday, August 3, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchase #9: Ceramics

It has been awhile since my last venture at Alameda Antique Flea Market. I think the last time I went was in May. I held off going in June because of the Vintage Fashion Faire, and in July, I was in Los Angeles.

On my "to buy" list was a dining table and mini-bathtub basin to use as a planter for my herb garden. I found neither. At least none that was suitable to my taste or wallet. My friend Burnie and I started in the back of the market and weaved our toward the front. There was some great furniture, but it's quite apparent that most sellers are interested in making a profit more than just trying to get rid of stuff. So as we continued browsing, we decided to stop only at things that looked interesting.

One thing that looked interesting was a $20 bill floating across the concrete without its owner. Heck yeah I picked it up!

A little later, I saw this ceramic that I've actually been looking for for quite some time. I've wanted a specific color (red hair), but considering that it was only $10 and I had an extra $20 in my pocket, I bought it.


It could use a little touching up, but other than that, she joins my other two pieces: the famous [Pulp Fiction] kangaroo and the old football player.


Burnie walked a way with a very interesting piece. He found this bust reminiscent of the 1920s.


It would've been so much cooler if it read "Sutro Baths" but you get what you get. Still, it's definitely a conversation piece. He's thinking of using it as a decorative prop for future dance revues.

With the way sellers are overpricing their goods, it looks like I'll have to go about the estate sale circuit for an antique dining table.

No comments:

Post a Comment