Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

2014 Vintage Puchase #10: Chenille Bedding

August has been a slow month for new posts. I've spent the last few weeks packing, moving and settling into my new place. Unfortunately, the way the housing market is along the peninsula, I did not buy a house. Instead, I settled on a nice big apartment in a very serene part of San Mateo County. (The house will have to wait.) So of course that means decorating with vintage decor.

I already have quite a bit of vintage furniture; coffee table, side tables, settee, vanity, figurines, etc. I've now ventured into the realm of vintage linens. I have small ones such as handkerchiefs, but I'm now looking for larger pieces like drapery, table linens and bed spreads. I recently purchased a queen-size bed and decided on chenille bedding. My late grandmother had these types of spreads. Immediately after her passing, the family rummaged through and staked claim on her belongings before I got any chance of selecting a few of her belongings. I only have three small items; a quilt, her bottle of holy water,  and a night gown. I really wish I could've had some of her linen. All of her bedspreads were of some type of chenille, and I decided to find this type of linen.

What is Chenille?
Chenille comes from the French word meaning caterpillar. This fuzzy worm provided the name for a type of pattern where the yarn is thick, softy and fuzzy. Its popularity was widespread during the 1930s with its use in bedding, pillows, floor mats/carpeting, etc.



The patterning varies. The most popular is flowers, but geometric shapes are also common. As per the colors, pastels were favored.





I recently purchased a vintage chenille bedspread and immediately dressed my bed. It's fairly simple; not as elaborate as others I've seen. I'm planning to purchase more so that I can change them periodically.

My chenille bedspread with my vintage vanity and settee in the background.

I would place the date of this particular bedspread in the 1930s. It's plain cotton sheet with limited chenille stitching perhaps due to the Great Depression when most anything was simple. I stood admiring my "new" acquisition and immediately thought of my grandma's house and all the time spent sleeping in her linens. Happy memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment