Search This Blog

Saturday, September 6, 2014

2014 Hike #14: Huddart Park

Life gets busy and exhausting to a point where you just can't make time for hikes. I've only been on short walks around the peninsula, but nothing like my previous excursions. After a long absence from nature, I am finally back on the trails. 

This weekend's hike brought me to the little town of Woodside just off 280 and 84. The town lives up to its name: Redwood trees everywhere. After meandering about 2 miles through the winding road lined with arched eucalyptus trees, I arrived at Huddart Park. 


There were several trails throughout the park, and I opted for the Dean/Crystal Springs loop trail. I should've gone with the shorter trails but I jumped right into a 4-mile loop. My feet are extremely sore. (Of course I had to get a pedicure soon after.)


The trail was absolutely breathtaking with its tall redwoods, chaparral, and wildlife. Although the only wildlife I encountered was squirrels and birds. It's a good thing I left Daisy home (no dogs allowed) because she would've gone wild chasing those squirrels.

The trail sort of reminded me of my hike through Muir Woods in Marin County. Then I came upon this bridge:


It immediately took me back to an amusing memory. I hiked Muir Woods with Demian. He had to go to the restroom so badly, and I mean he had to really go. We stopped at a bridge similar to the one above. He ran up the hill, and I waited. And waited. And waited to the point that I was worried that he could've encountered a mountain lion. Then he came running down. That look of relief got me laughing. He said he felt bad for the tree to which I said, "I hope you apologized to it." I'll never forget that. Happy times.

What I like most about hiking is the sound of nature. The crackling of the trees. The leaves rustling in the breeze. Birds fluttering and twittering above. Small animals scurrying unseen. It's absolutely peaceful. 

Unfortunately along the trail, my phone died, and I couldn't take anymore pictures. But I managed to capture this cool shot of tunnel through a stump.


And the burst of color as depicted below.


I'm so glad to be back on my nature hikes. Next week it's back to Marin County. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment