Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2015

2015 Vintage Purchase #3: Glassware

After replacing my truck's battery, I headed out to Alameda Antique Faire. I'm holding true to my "no clothing until May" rule. I decided that the only time I'd buy vintage clothing is during the Alameda Vintage Fashion Faire, which occurs only twice a year. On my antique shopping list: home decor, kitchen wares, bathroom fixtures.

I may not find much; sometimes I buy nothing at all. What I enjoy most is strolling about the market on a gorgeous, sunny day. I love to see antiques on display, and more often than not, sellers will design there spot like a shop window.




I did find just ONE thing. What I really want are tall drinking glasses with poodles or cats. But I thought this glass was just too cute to leave on the table. One side of the glass is a couple sitting in the country side. The other side has lyrics to a song When You and I were Young, Maggie. I have this song in my library, and it's a 1930s jazz standard. However, when I researched this song, it actually dates further back. The lyrics come from a poem written in 1864 by a Canadian school teacher who fell in love with a young lady named Maggie. They married, but she died of an illness the following year. *sigh* It was then set to music and performed around 1870 before first being recorded in 1905. It has been covered several times.




No comments:

Post a Comment