Search This Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Classic Films as They're Meant to Be Seen

The last modern film I watched was Man of Steel. I didn't really like it very much. My cousin was undecided about watching it and I told her not to bother; it sucks. Then her fiance chimes in stating, "It was the best movie I've seen. I'll see it again. I'm gonna buy the DVD." It doesn't take very much to stimulate his brain. In fact, that's how it is with most viewing audiences today. It's all about eye candy: explosions, speed, and sex appeal. Yawn. The movie wasn't entirely bad. The acting was actually well done. It's too bad there wasn't more of it. Man of Steel was 90% action and 10% plot. This does not make for a good film. 

This is why I prefer to view classic films. There was less reliance on action and more emphasis on good acting and a good plot. The society of its time dressed classier and conducted themselves with utmost respect for others. I swear by Turner Classic Movies and Netflix. I can have a 24 hour classic film fest in the comforts of my home. I watch for entertainment purposes, but I can't help but watch for its educational value. I study the wardrobe, hairstyles, and make-up. Lately, I've been watching more 1930s musicals to gather ideas for my chorus girl troupe such as outfits and routines. Now I'm looking more at speech so I can practice speaking in a 1930s dialect.

I've watched classic films since I was a wee tot mainly due to my dad's influence. He, too, enjoys classic films. I always thought about what it would be like to see these films on the big screen. I would love to watch the 1933 King Kong classic on the big screen and The Wizard of Oz! I used to dream about owning an old movie theatre that would show nothing but classic films. The films today just don't stand up to the films of yesteryear.

Thank goodness for Stanford and Castro Theatres. These movie houses are devoted to showcasing classic films. Stanford tends to show films that are pre-1960 whereas Castro will occasionally show modern films.

Stanford Theatre
University Avenue in Palo Alto is a throwback to vintage Americana. It's a mix of antique and modern storefronts, but well maintained to retain a vintage feel. You will find eateries that are themed to reflect the bygone era. Unfortunately, the prices do not. Yet, Stanford Theatre is surprisingly inexpensive. For $7 you get a double feature, and refreshments average a $1.50. The theatre itself is a classic movie museum. Large (original) movie posters are framed and hung prominently throughout the theatre. There is a separate gallery containing movie artifacts and literature. The contents change with each showcasing film. 

Stanford tends to theme each season. There have been decade specific, Hitchcock, Astaire & Rogers, Film Noir, Silent, Bogart, pre-code, etc. Every Christmas Eve, the theatre will show It's a Wonderful Life. It's always a good time since the crowd interacts with the film. You'll hear cheering & clapping for the protagonist and boos & hisses for the antagonist. Watching It's a Wonderful Life at Stanford Theatre is now my annual Christmas tradition.

At the center of the stage is the Wurlitzer organ. Before and after each 7:30 showing is a performance. If I take in an early show, I'll stay long enough to listen to the performance. When the theatre shows a silent film, the music accompaniment is always live. I took my dad to a silent film showing and he absolutely loved it. "Better than TMC!" He was grateful for the intermission to use the facilities and get more refreshments.


I'm hoping that Stanford will have another early Hollywood Musicals festival (their last one was 12 years ago) or perhaps even a Busby Berkeley festival. If they do, I would love to do a live performance with my dance troupe. 









Castro Theatre
Like the Stanford, Castro was also built and showcasing films in the early 20s. The theatre stays true to its art deco elegance and architecture. Located in the heart of the Castro District, this theatre is the iconic landmark that glows brightly each night. Castro is not exclusive to classic films. Occasionally, it will showcase modern films a few times a month. Like Stanford, Castro also has thematic festivals. The biggest draw is the Noir City festival each January and the Silent Film Festival held each June. There are occasional mini-festivals such as the Hitchcock 9 and Silent Winter. In the mezzanine, you will find vendors hawking literature, knickknacks, apparel and antiques suited to the festival. Most attendees (myself included) will dress accordingly. I often don my femme fatale outfit for Noir City and a 1920s outfit for the silent pictures.

Apart from these festivals are thematic double features. One double feature theme was the mafia screening The Godfather and Goodfellas. This was a 6 hour double feature, but thankfully, the theatre held an extended intermission between each film.

Unfortunately, Castro isn't as inexpensive as Stanford. $10 for a double feature is still a good deal, but the refreshments reflect the prices at your contemporary mega movie theatres.










Most films today lack substance, style, plot and, most importantly, originality. There is always a market for these films that appeal to the mindless drones of today's society. But for the rest, for those who truly appreciate the art of film, Stanford and Castro are there to truly entertain their movie audience.