Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Silence is Golden

This past weekend was San Francisco's annual Silent Film Festival at Castro Theatre. I had already seen most of the films showcased (thank you streaming!), so I chose to watch the films I hadn't yet seen. The most anticipated film was The Last Edition. It was considered a low-budget, aka B-movie during its original release in 1925. You wouldn't know it judging by the packed house. There were no seats left. The appeal? It was set and filmed on location in San Francisco. Most of the setting is in The Chronicle Building were you see the the working printing press. There were quite a few street shots with the more prominent locations featured: City Hall, Ferry Building, Market Street, the ever present trollies, etc. It was quite fascinating seeing what San Francisco looked like 88 years ago.

As the movie was getting more interesting, the reel guy messed up the production. It featured the film backwards before shutting off to correct his error. When it came back on screen, it wasn't where we left off. We probably missed a few seconds that were pertinent to the film. I'm left wondering what happened, but I'll never know unless the film is showcased again.

And yes, of course, I dressed in all my vintage glory. I wore a 1930s pink taffeta dress and a hat. I met my friend there who was also dressed. People kept asking to take our pictures (both in the theatre and out on the street), and we happily obliged.


My buddy, Burnie