Search This Blog

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pendletons

Vintage Pendletons are a hard find. When you come across them, they're always men's. Some of my friends buy them anyway knowing that the fit isn't made for the female form. It does get a bit cumbersome when you have to use your right hand to button (all women's buttons are left handed), the length doesn't sit well on a lady's hips, and the cut is not flattering on the female form. And since Pendletons are still in production today, you have to do your research to make sure you really are getting a vintage piece. The giveaway is the tag. The design changes over time, so this is the first place you have to look so that you don't get cheated out of the price.

Today, I embarked on another estate sale. It was a crazy madhouse, which is to be expected on the first day. I usually visit each sale twice; once on the first day and then within the final hour of the second day. The first day is grabbing something you know will be bought quickly, and the second day is rummaging the leftovers for 75% off the original price (or if you're lucky, get it for free). I wasn't looking for anything in particular when I spied what looked like a Pendleton amid other vintage coats and sweaters. Upon inspection, I was pleasantly surprised to score a true vintage women's Pendleton in excellent condition. I couldn't find any tears or stains. The original owner (God bless her recently departed soul) took great care of her clothes (but what I want to know is, where were all the dresses? The only clothing available were coats and sweaters).

There was no price listed, so I took my chances. I thought perhaps $15 maybe $20. Well I thought wrong. SOLD for $4! Four dollars! Yay me! I just love estate sales; almost as good as antique/vintage fairs and expos.

The women's 49er Pendleton


Tag indicates that this piece can be as early as 1949 but no later than the mid 50s.