Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Crazy Daisy

I kept a watchful eye on Daisy the entire time I was out camping this weekend. When you're out being one with nature, expect to run into some wildlife. All I encountered were squirrels, sea lions and dolphins; all docile creatures. The major irony of the weekend: Daisy was attacked by a raccoon...at home. I always have the sliding door open for Daisy to do her business in the middle of the night. Well, I will have to stop that practice after waking up to her charging out of the room and hearing her screams...not barks, but screams. 

A raccoon had entered the house and Daisy, being the good guard dog that she is, tried to stand her ground. This raccoon was not having it. As soon as I heard the commotion, I jumped out of bed and ran out to the yard. I saw the raccoon all over Daisy, and I startled it long enough for her to get out of its reach. Daisy escaped but the raccoon gave chase. It literally looked and sounded like a monster from my perspective. I was able to run up and grab her; I held her in my arms and just stood still staring at the creature. I didn't know what to do next. In fact, I wasn't thinking at all. I must've been running on a mixture of adrenaline and instinct. I figured if I stayed still, it would retreat. It did. The raccoon climbed over the fence, and it was all over. The neighbors asked if everything was okay. I was in a state of shock, but still coherent. Daisy was bleeding from her hind legs, so I searched for a a 24 hour emergency vet and found NorCal Veterinary Emergency hospital. 

I spent about 90 minutes waiting for her to get examined and cleaned up. She got a rabies booster since she was due for her next shot in 6 months. No major injuries; just flesh wounds. Poor thing, but I'm glad she's going to be okay. The vet said she was a sweet little thing and very cooperative.

She's a tough little one. Now she's got her battle scars.

I survived a raccoon attack, and all I got was this cone of shame.