Search This Blog

Saturday, September 7, 2013

September Getaway: Sunset State Beach

When I went to Santa Cruz a few months ago, I kicked myself for not bringing my surfboard. Before I left, I researched areas that would be good for longboard surfing. I read a lot about Sunset Beach and noted the campsite nearby. I'm truly an outdoorsy lady. I enjoy camping, hiking, surfing and gardening. 

So this weekend, I packed my gear and drove down to Sunset Beach. Instead of taking Highway 1, I opted to take I 280 to SR 17 with its winding roads through the Santa Cruz mountains. It was a beautiful drive (though it can be a hazardous road for inexperienced drivers; lost of cars swerving on the road.)

After nearly a 2 hour drive, I arrived at the campsite. It wasn't like any other sites I've been to; usually I camp in the mountains. This one was surrounded by strawberry fields. It had some nice hiking trails with great views of the ocean.

When I heard about the campsite, I was hoping it was the type where you can pitch your tent right on the beach (like San Felipe, Mex). The campsite was restricted to the hills with a 1 minute drive to the beach parking lot. Though I could've walked the distance down a steep ramp and stairs, I wasn't about to do it with a 20lb surfboard.

It had been about a year since I last surfed and it definitely showed. I was sluggish. I had a hard time catching a wave, but eventually I caught quite a few. I later went for a swim and just waded in the water. I always found it peaceful floating in the ocean where it's unusually quiet save for the seagulls flying above en masse. There was a sea lion that swam past a few yards away. Off in the distance were a few dolphins frolicking about. 

Before sunset, I dried off and sat atop the lifeguard tower and stared off into the horizon. I sat for an hour watching the sun go down.

When I went back to camp, every spot was occupied. People were out having bonfires and sharing funny stories. I lay in my tent listening to different chatters before I drifted off to sleep.

When I woke this morning, my entire body was sore. Yes, the year absence from surfing caught up with me. My arms and legs are the most sore at the moment; not good when you have weekly, strenuous rehearsals for the dance troupe. I'll need to take it easy, but I definitely need to start surfing more often especially now that the coastal peninsula is reaching its Indian summer. 

Next getaway: Bodega Bay