Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

New ink

It's been a while since my last tattoo session (about 6 months). I had several ideas in mind, but there was a point when I thought, "you know, I just want to walk into a shop and say, 'that one.'" One of my heavily tattooed friends said that there is something quite empowering about picking a random image especially when all the other work is more thought out.

So that's what I did. I called up my best friend, Wendy, and told her, "I'll be in town; lets call up Bud and get inked together." It was sort of a bonding moment since we've never hung out at a tattoo shop. We're usually just relaxing at her house and shooting the breeze.

When we met up she commented on how nervous she gets before getting inked. I'm pretty heavily tattooed but she has far more than me, and I was surprised by her admission. I told her not to worry about it. The guys at the shop provide loads of quality entertainment and it'll take our minds off the pain.

I was right; the topics these guys come up with in conversation: Boardwalk Empire, male cosmetic surgery such as botox for the balls, tattoos from hell stories (some of their clients are pretty sick), vasectomies, practical jokes, pet peeves with tattoo reality shows, etc. It is never a dull moment which most definitely takes your mind of the pain.

I have a pretty high tolerance of pain so having my inner arm tattooed was a breeze; though I hear for others, it's pretty painful. Yes, there is some amount of pain but nothing that I couldn't handle. There were moments when I nearly dozed off only to have Wendy crack jokes and making me laugh.

Me and Tattoo Boppin' Bud



Wendy's turn


American Vintage Tattoo

 
My finished product