Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Vintage Finds! Labor Day Weekend 2013

I went back to the Southland for Labor Day weekend. It was a full schedule of 2 weekend festivals. Art Deco Festival in Long Beach by day and Camp Hollywood Swing Dance Festival in Los Angeles by night.

The Art Deco festival had a vintage bizarre where overpriced Blue Moon Vintage dominated the Queen Mary deck. Seriously?A cotton 50s daydress for $175? And it has stains? That seller is nuts. I refuse to buy from them no matter how nice their inventory is. There were several smaller businesses with decent prices but very few dresses caught my eye. I happened upon a 1930s cotton day dress for $80 and in great condition; no stains, no tears, no missing buttons. I snagged it.



Unfortunately, I found nothing at Camp Hollywood. Most of the stock was reproduction clothing made from cheap material (yet sold at a high price). No thanks. The only reproduction I will buy is shoes and it must come from reputable sellers. The best ones are American Duchess and Remix Shoes; both specialize in designs specifically for period re-enactments and film productions. Remix had a booth at Camp Hollywood with a nice display of 1930s reproduction shoes. I bought two pair.





It was definitely a nice shopping spree in an otherwise lackluster vintage market. I'm looking forward to the Vintage Expo in a few weeks.