Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2014

Levi's Stadium

When I was just a whippersnapper. Circa 1982
I am a 3rd generation 49er Faithful having cheered for the 49ers since I became aware of the world around me. I grew up during the Joe Montana era when his go to wide receiver was...Freddie Solomon (RIP). Bet you thought I'd say Jerry Rice. Well, #88 was the man before Rice joined the team. During my high school and college years, the man under center was Steve Young.

Since I grew up in Southern California, I only got to see them at least once a year. The Rams played in Anaheim at the time, and each year, the 49ers came for their division game. We were always in attendance. (A bit of trivia: Joe Montana NEVER lost in Anaheim.) Sometimes we'd see the Niners at the L.A. Coliseum to play the Raiders or in San Diego against the Chargers. Believe it or not, the 49ers do have a large fan base in Southern California, but nothing is better than being in 49er territory.

I didn't move to San Francisco until 1995 to attend USF. I would always go down to the local pizza parlor located on Clement Street (in what is now called Pizza Orgasmica) to be among my fellow 49er Faithful. I didn't go to my first Candlestick game until...flash forward to 2011. I went to only two games that season. In 2012, I went to six games. During it's final season in 2013, I only attended four games, including the final home game.

Final game at Candlestick
Yesterday was the 49ers regular season home opener at Levi's Stadium. It is now located 40 miles south in Santa Clara. I wasn't planning on attending, but my dad convinced me otherwise. He kept saying, "you gotta go. It's history!" But it's so expensive now; to which he replied, "I'll buy your ticket. Consider it your birthday gift." Well if you insist. So I got a ticket for the game.


I was in awe of the new stadium which sits right next to the 49ers practice field and headquarters. It is absolutely beautiful and definitely state of the art. Free wi-fi! The seats were a lot more comfortable than those at "The Stick". It was also more open with its wide corridors.


When it comes to the concession stands, this stadium considers every type of diet. Finally, there are more options available for vegetarians. They even have vegan dogs!

The field was stunning. I was so used to a faded out field at The Stick. This was more vibrant and the grass much healthier. Though I sat up in nosebleed section, it was still a pretty good view of the field. This stadium also has two megatrons. The Stick only had one, so sometimes if you were on the north end of the stadium, you wouldn't see the replays. But at Levi's, there is always a view of the scores and highlights.

The view from my seat
But that ever glaring sun! At the Stick, there was always shade due to it's cradling design. But Levi's is open. There wasn't any shade until the sun finally set at 7:30. This was a night game, so I can imagine how hot the afternoon games will be. Bring a hat! (The stadium provided free sunscreen.) Although, I'm thinking it is more worth buying a "Standing Room" ticket. You don't get a seat, but at least there is shade. Besides, there is still a good view of the field and more room to roam (and easier access to restrooms and concessions).

Standing room
I couldn't help but notice the terrific view of the Santa Cruz mountains in the distance. It's absolutely breathtaking.



Due to the proximity of San Jose airport, expect to see low flying airplanes above the stadium. You can actually read the airline name on each plane.

Levis wanted to retain some of its Candlestick heritage. They brought the foghorn to signal the time before kickoff as well as a celebration for each score. What I really liked was the return of the old chant GOOOOOO! NINERS! That brought me back to the 1980s when the entire crowd would chant in unison during blowout wins. We did this prior to the kickoff but not during the game. I'm hoping, though, this will be a continued practice for future games. It was always a better chant than the faster rhythm "Let's Go Niners" followed by the clapping.

Though the game didn't end as expected...let's be honest, I was pissed! I'm still upset with the loss...moving along...I may go to one or two more games this year; most likely in December when the temps are cooler and the tickets are generally cheaper. I would love to go when the Seahawks come to town but that is on Thankgiving night and hella expensive. We'll see.

Below is a highlight from the game. Enjoy and GO NINERS!


For Mobile Users: 49ers Home Opener







No comments:

Post a Comment