Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Last Dance: Tipping



Ah the tip jar. How many of you out there just drop your change without a second thought? Have you ever stopped to think that perhaps you're giving a little extra for a service that took little to no effort on the part of the server?

Dizzy and I decided to touch on a subject that is quite controversial: Tipping. Just prior to our scheduled radio segment, I did some research and engaged in conversations with others about this very subject. The conversations definitely got heated. Generally the pro-tippers talked about the hard work service workers do that deserve an extra something. Others argue that servers earn a minimum wage and are just doing their job. The one fact they bring up is people who work in fast food. Carl's Jr. actually brings the food to your table. Why don't they get tips? Good points all around.

The discussions always get me thinking back to this classic scene: Reservoir Dogs. WARNING: Very colorful language.

For Mobile Users: Tipping Scene

Back in 1992, Mr. Pink makes a very convincing argument on his stance against tipping highlighting the societal pressure that is put on people to tip. Fast forward 22 years later (Gadzooks, has it been that long? I actually saw this film in theatres during its original run), and the pressure only seems to have gotten worse. Now you see websites devoted to disgruntled waiters who post their poor tippers' receipts. There are articles about those who pay an astronomical tip. In my humble opinion, it has gotten out of hand. What went from simple appreciation of generosity has now gone to an expectation, if not demand, for tips. Some tip jars even carry notes that guilt the customer into throwing in their change. It is very off-putting.

Don't get me wrong. I do tip when it's well deserved. In fact, I'm pretty generous, but there are times when I refuse to tip. I rarely walk into a corporate chain for any type of service, but if I do, I don't tip. These workers have a living wage AND get healthcare. However, if it's an independent, "mom and pop" type shop or restaurant, I always give something beyond the standard 15% rate. Other service industries require that the employee give a portion of their earnings to the business and for renting their space. This is most common in salons and tattoo parlors. I generally tip my hair colorist $20. My tattoo artist usually gets $50.

But what of those who perform minimal to zero to absolutely horrible service? Well you'll just have to stay tuned this Sunday, September 28th. Below is a snippet of our broadcast.

For Mobile Users: Radio Sausalito: Tipping

My setlist for this month included the following songs:

  • Tip Light by Slim Gaillard (on the accompanying video)
  • Tipping In by Erskine Hawkins and his orchestra
  • Ain't Gonna Give None of This Jellyroll by Earl "Fatha" Hines

As always you can listen to The Last Dance on Radio Sausalito. The show will air this Sunday, September 28 at 10am and 6pm. Be sure to tune by clicking the link below.