Search This Blog

Friday, September 12, 2014

2014 Hike #15: Thornewood

I'm on a roll! Two weeks straight!  I really want to get back on my weekly hiking habit. I was planning on a hike in Marin, but I decided to stay on the Peninsula and save the Marin hike for my birthday weekend. 

I was researching some dog-friendly trails (I felt bad leaving Daisy at home last weekend) and came upon Thornewood Open Space Preserve. It was a little further down highway 84 just past Huddart Park and just beyond where Woodside becomes La Honda. I nearly missed the entrance; it looked like one of those private gated driveways.

Oh, but before I continue on this reflection, I first need to mention that on my way to Thornewood, I saw this beautiful vintage car.


The driveway actually leads up to a private residence, though it's currently uninhabitable. From what I researched, it's an old 1920s estate that is currently in restoration. Once completed, it will be open to the public. I'm definitely going to need to return to this trail for two reasons. One, to see the opulence of the 1920s. Two, to hike the path toward Schilling Lake. There were a couple trails that splintered off the Bridle trail. Schilling trail was blocked off before reaching Schilling Lake; some county workers were there to cut down some trees. 

Along Schilling, the trail is lined with maple trees and black oak. The leaves are just now starting to change colors for the coming Autumnal Equinox (my birthday!) The pops of color contributes to the picturesque setting. There is also a great view of the Portolá valley and beyond to the East Bay. 



The setting changes abruptly once you turn onto the Bridle trail. It's a redwood forest with towering Douglas Fir trees all around you. In a way, I sort of felt like Red Riding Hood walking through the woods. Oh and the smell. It was like Christmas. 


Deep into the woods, I came upon the realization that this trail is an "out and back" type of trail. It ended abruptly at Old La Honda Road. And it was back UP the trail. It was definitely a cardio workout.

I really want to see Schilling Lake and from what I've read on the MidPeninsula Preserve website, there a waterfall. Although, with this drought, there probably isn't much flowing water. But, I can imagine the colors once we get deeper into autumn. Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment