Search This Blog

Friday, November 14, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchase #13: Toaster

I needed a toaster, I bought one. Of course, most of my purchases are antiques so let it not be a surprise that I acquired a 1930s toaster.


It is fairly light but definitely powerful. I plugged it in and the burners fired up (so to speak). I dropped in two slices of an English muffin; they came out perfect.

The toaster is stamped Nelson Machine Manufacturing Company. I researched the company and found that it was founded in 1931 out of Ohio. The company first began making irons and sold it for one dollar. Due to its popularity, the manufacturer went on to make low cost, small electric appliances such as toasters, waffle irons, popcorn poppers and coffee percolators.  These appliances were sold at Sears Roebuck, Woolworths, and five and dime stores. 

The company no longer exits today, but their appliances, though made inexpensively, continue to thrive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment