Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Home Sweet Home

So I moved, yet again. Though I loved living in the hills amidst the deer frolicking outside my window, I just couldn't put up with my cousin's psycho-bitch girlfriend (and that's putting it mildly). All was well and good in the beginning until she started spending the night practically every night, using up the utilities that I pay for, and complaining about my decorating and my having the master bedroom. Seriously? Is your name on the lease? She is incredibly disrespectful and treats people horribly. But I put my foot down when she snapped at my mother, who was visiting me one weekend. I told her straight out that I didn't like her, she isn't a good person and she's fake. I love my dear primo, but it was time for me to move on. 

And on I went. This time, NO ROOMMATES! I knew it would be a bit of a struggle finding a nice place within my budget. I did not want to go back to San Francisco; I'm through with in-law living. Nor did I want to live in a large apartment community; too many intrusive rules. I strongly considered Half Moon Bay as it is very peaceful, but it's too remote. There are only two routes to get to and from and there is hella traffic.

I wanted a community that was close enough to San Francisco but still a nice suburb. As luck would have it, a really nice apartment popped up in Burlingame and within my budget.  I love that the apartment building is small (only 10 units) but the individual unit is pretty big; 500 square feet. The best part: it was built in the 1920s and it still has its vintage charm. I knew it would be perfect to house my antique furniture and vintage clothing. I applied and was immediately approved. Yay!

Here are a few snapshots:

It actually works! That is, to buzz people in the building.
Many older homes from the early 20th century have a cove for the telephone. 

Outside the restroom is a changing area. It houses my antique vanity.

This is the only outlet that is original. I love the design.

Nice light fixture in the hallway

I love the arch!

Old door knobs throughout the unit

Now this I love. A built in ironing board in the kitchen.

I am only half a block from one of Burlingame's shopping districts. I don't have to drive anywhere for anything; there are restaurants, grocers, pharmacies, salons, etc. And Caltrain is just a short distance to commute for work. Love it! It reminds me so much of San Francisco's West Portal neighborhood (the only SF neighborhood that I like); a throwback to simpler times. Burlingame is definitely a neighborhood that I want to stay long term if not for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. What a great apartment, I would stay there forever, too! A wonderful reward for putting up with what you did! I hope it is much more peaceful and inspiring for you.

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete