Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2014

2014 Hike #13: Sign Hill

South San Francisco - The Industrial City

I always see this hillside sign on my northbound drives either along 101 or 280. I researched its history and learned the following:

In 1923, the South San Francisco Chamber of Commerce published articles in the town’s newspaper, the Enterprise, promoting the community and its businesses...As a temporary publicity gimmick, the Chamber painted the words “South San Francisco, The Industrial City” in powdered lime on Sign Hill. In April 1929, the Cement Gun Construction Company of South San Francisco made the letters permanent. (ssf.net)

So it was all a publicity stunt. I'd always wondered what made South City so industrious. 

For some reason, the Sign Hill trail was off my hiking radar; I've hiked so many different trails throughout the Bay Area that I completely forgot this one (even though I see the sign everyday). This morning I made it a point to drive to South City and hike Sign Hill.

This is not a trail for the weak kneed. It is very steep. On my way up, I had to climb on all fours to get to the letters. Once there, it's difficult to make out the spelling, but I know I got up to between the "D" and "U" in INDUSTRIAL. I then walked east and then up beyond the letters to the top of the hill. It was a grand view looking over San Mateo County. I stood for awhile watching the planes taking off and ascending from SFO. 

I found a trail to take me back down to the foothill which consisted of a series of wooden steps that were at times two feet apart. It was a heck of descent which took much longer than the trail up. There were several other trails around the letters, so I may come back at a future date for the other trails. Until then, enjoy the pics.









No comments:

Post a Comment