Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Magnolia Ave.

I'm back in Southern California for a week (where it is HELLA HOT). It'll be spent visiting family and friends, swing dancing, getting tattooed (that post will come later in the week), shopping and relaxing. The one place I've wanted to visit is Bésame Cosmetics in Burbank. I've been purchasing their products online, but I've wanted to see what the shop was like. Imagine; a boutique dedicated solely to vintage inspired make-up and make-up history. I checked out the website but it didn't disclose their shop hours. So I yelped and it showed open hours from 12-6 except Monday. So I decided to take a drive and invited my mom to come with me. We drove 30 miles which really isn't a lot if you come from the Bay Area. But Los Angeles? That's a heck of a trek. There are way more cars and a lot more traffic on the freeways. Traffic really wasn't that bad, though. When we finally got there, we saw that the shop was closed on Sundays. Gadzooks!

My mom and I decided to make the best of it because Magnolia Avenue is lined with vintage, antique and retro shops. I wasn't planning on purchasing any vintage clothing, but it didn't hurt to look. We perused quite a few shops, which were quite impressive with their inventory, but it was mostly 60s, 70s and 80s era. My mom even pointed at a few skirts and said, "I think I have that in my closet."

There were several antique furniture shops nestled between boutiques. My mom mentioned wanting to buy an antique rocking chair. She had already purchased one a few weeks ago from an antique shop in Whittier for about $95. Other places had them priced at well over $150. Along our path was a shop selling antique furniture on the sidewalk. She immediately spied a rocking chair priced at $75. The girl selling it said to make an offer. My mom got it for $65. The chair is in great condition.

There was one retro shop that I've seen at Viva Las Vegas. 8Ball. I knew I wouldn't have an interest in the repro clothing (Say NO to Repro!) but I usually enjoy browsing the kitchy items. The store reminds me of the Berkeley/Livermore shop Charlotte's Web. The inventory is identical with the Lucky 13 apparel, Lux Deville accessories, etc. The only difference here, is that 8Ball also has an art gallery. The current featured artist had several paintings of nightmarish imagery. It sort of reminded me of Mark Ryden's paintings.

I walked away empty handed, but I was happy to see my mom make a purchase. We'll be back again later in the week to check out Bésame.

Magnolia Avenue, Burbank, CA
Mom's antique purchase

Shops Visited

No comments:

Post a Comment