Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2014

2014 Vintage Purchase #7: Alameda Vintage Fashion Fair

I've decided that the best way to curb my excessive vintage fashion purchases is to limit them only to fashion fairs which happens about 4 times a year here in the Bay Area. This summer, the Alameda Vintage Fashion Fair commenced with a WWII theme. I decided to wear my 1940s sailor dress for the occasion.


I was planning to enter their fashion contest, but Giants ballgame traffic through downtown S.F. and the usual Bay Bridge backup made for a longer than usual commute. When I arrived, they had just started the contest (which I strongly believe was rigged). Oh well.



On my shopping list was 1930s to early 1950s day dresses. I have many vintage dresses that are for more formal occasions: cocktail dresses, evening dresses, garden dresses, etc. I've a few cotton day dresses that I wear to work and for the dance floor and this is where I want my wardrobe to expand. My usual seller was not there, but there were two others that I always buy from who hail from Sonoma county. I didn't find anything this evening, but they told me they'd bring more for tomorrow's show.

I didn't want my trek to Alameda to be all for naught, so I decided to look at other sellers. I couldn't find anything to my liking since most of the inventory was overwhelmingly 1960s-1970s. I was just about to give up when I found a seller previously unknown to me; Marta of Hot Couture Vintage. She, too, is based out of Sonoma county. I'm sensing that I'll have to head north some time if I decide to check out the brick and mortar stores. I ended up buying three dresses from her that were all priced low. Two of them are from the 1940s and one from the early 1950s.




I'm really looking forward to day two of the fashion faire especially since I missed browsing quite a few sellers. The event had already closed when I made the above purchases. We'll see what's in store for tomorrow. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment