Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2014

Shhh!!!



It's that time of year again!  The Silent Film Festival returns to Castro Theatre right around June. Though this year, it came a week earlier than usual. It can be costly to attend every screening, so I usually pick the ones of most interest.

This year's crop was more international; this has been happening quite a bit lately that even the Film Noir Festival broke away from showcasing just American films. While I wouldn't mind watching foreign sound films, the silent foreign films are a bit cumbersome. Not only do you have the English title cards, the original language is also included which takes up quite a bit of room with risk of print overlap.

I only watched 2 films this year: Ramona (drama) and The Navigator (comedy).

Ramona starred the very beautiful Mexican actress, Dolores Del Rio. She had a great screen presence and her miming gestures were exquisite. There was something very poetic about her movements. Of course, it's quite exaggerated which may turn off a few viewers. But it was quite nice seeing a Latin actress in a lead role (stay tuned for another post on this specific topic).

The Navigator starred the Great Stone Face himself, Buster Keaton; known for his onscreen antics, stunts and deadpan facial expressions. I enjoyed this one much more than the drama since you can pull of exaggerated acting much better in a comedy than in drama.

As for my attire, of course I'm going to look more 1920s. On both days, I wore a pale pink 1920s and 1930s day dress with my cream-colored oxfords. I completed it with a vintage calf-length sage colored coat. As for my glasses, I put away my cat-eyes in favor of my round 1930s glasses that wrap around your ears. The best compliments were reserved for my hair. Lots of pin curls!






No comments:

Post a Comment