Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Vintage Finds! New Year, New buys

I took a three month hiatus from vintage shopping to focus on completing my MA degree. Now that it's done, I've more time to continue shopping the Alameda Antique Faire and estate sales. So far, there haven't been any estate sales (at least none that have antiques or vintage).

Today I went super early to Alameda Pointe because I had to be back in SF in time to watch the 49ers game. (I'm a 49er Faithful!) As I always do, I walk straight to the back and weave my way toward the front. I had only one purpose: to find a vintage chair to go with my vintage vanity. It was row after row of disappointment. Chairs were either too expensive, the wrong fabric color, or the wrong wood. Some came in pairs, and I just couldn't bare to separate the pieces. As my search was growing more futile, I decided to look at clothing. Even that was fruitless. Not a single one of my usual sellers were at Alameda. Perhaps they're still on vacation.

Then I came across the vintage eyeglasses booth. I bought my cat eyeglasses from this seller a couple years ago. Since I've been purchasing more clothing from the 20s through early 40s, I've been looking for glasses from that era. They're tough to find since many are really small or don't look good on a round face. Until today. I finally found a pair of glasses from the early 20s.

My Eyes of Dr. TJ Eckleburg
What I love most about these frames are the wire handles that wrap around the ears. Guaranteed these will not slip of my face. Now I just need to have my prescription filled.

Just before I was ready to exit the fair, I spied with my little eyes the perfect seat for my vanity. It had its nicks and scratches, but that's what gives the piece character. What I loved was the wood detail of the carved flowers. The intricate needlepoint on the seat. I nearly had sticker shock. Not because it was so high, but because it was so low. TEN dollars. It's over 100 years old, so the price couldn't be right. I asked the seller, and indeed she was selling it for $10. Apparently because it wasn't in pristine condition, she lowered the price. So I bought it. And it's perfect.




Lets see what 2014 has in store for vintage purchases. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment